Death of the GIS Guy
I found yet another blog! http://www.gisdoctor.com This one has an article on the future for GIS professionals, which mirrors my own views and expands upon the ‘GIS drivers licence’ article which inspired me to begin my own blog.
It lists the following as vital skills for a modern GISP:
- The GIS guy needs to be well versed in relational databases.
- The GIS guy needs to be able to program
- The GIS guy needs to know geospatial analysis.
- The GIS guy needs to know how to integrate web-based technologies into their GIS technology.
- The GIS guy needs to be a GIS expert.
- The GIS guy needs to continue to learn.
- The GIS guy needs to know that there is more to GIS than Esri.
- And finally, the GIS guy needs to know how to make a web-map using a data feed from twitter…Know and understand the trends in the field and be able to communicate in the lingo of what is “next”.
I’m pleased that point 1 is ‘understand relational databases’. As my previous posts have been about my efforts to learn SQL and database management. A positive sign that I am working in the right direction.
Full article here – http://www.gisdoctor.com/site/2011/07/05/death-gis-guy/
(also has a good SQL for geographers article)